Is One of Colorado’s Most Iconic Spots Really One of the Most Overrated Attractions in the World?
By Shawn Patrick on September 8, 2023
I keep seeing the Four Corners listed as one of the worst tourist traps in America, and I have to agree. It’s four states that come together in one spot, I mean how cool can that be? However, there’s a similar new list and Four Corners is not on it, but another, much more iconic Colorado spot is…
USA Today analyzed 23.2 million Google reviews of 500 popular tourist attractions in the world with a focused search on keywords like “tourist trap,” “expensive” and “overrated.”
Pikes Peak in Colorado Springs was ranked in the top 20 most overrated tourist attractions in the world. While it made headlines for being one of the worst, at least its not Voodoo Doughnut in Portland that took the top spot!
Specifically, the reviews talk about Pikes Peak’s historic railway, which is the highest railroad in America.
While Pikes Peak is ranked as one of the worst, out of the 4k reviews, only 15% of them used words like “overrated.”
Here’s the full list of the most overrated attractions in the world:
- Voodoo Doughnut, Oregon, U.S.
- The Little Mermaid, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Arashiyama Bamboo Grove, Kyoto, Japan
- Manneken Pis, Brussels, Belgium
- Hollywood Walk of Fame, California, U.S.
- Blue Lagoon, Grindavik, Iceland
- Livraria Lello, Porto, Portugal
- MONA: Museum of Old and New Art, Berriedale, Australia
- Jardin Majorelle, Marrakech, Morocco
- Old Faithful Geyser, Wyoming, U.S.
- Stonehenge, Wiltshire, U.K.
- Spanish Steps, Rome, Italy
- Tegallalang Rice Terrace, Ubud, Indonesia
- Penang Hill, Penang, Malaysia
- Flam Railway, Flåm, Norway
- Guinness Storehouse, Dublin, Ireland
- Times Square, New York, U.S.
- Distillery District, Toronto, Canada
- Four Corners Monument, Arizona, U.s.
- Pikes Peak, Colorado, U.S.
- The Dancing House, Prague, Czech Republic
- Space Needle, Washington, U.S.
- Hollywood Sign, California, U.S.
- Park Guell, Barcelona, Spain
- Capilano Suspension Bridge, Vancouver, Canada