The Jeffco Fair & Festival Mutton Bustin’ features children ages 5-7 and under 55 pounds riding sheep out of a chute and into the arena.
6 seconds and a sheep. A rider steps into the chute and prepares for a ride that will last only seconds. It’s a familiar scene in rodeo, but in this case the rider is a child between the ages of 4and 7 and the bronco is a sheep.
The Jeffco Fair & Festival Mutton Bustin’ features children ages 4 – 7 and under 60 pounds riding sheep out of a chute and into the arena. Anything goes, and usually does, as contestants hold on as long as they can!
GRAND CHAMPION MUTTON BUSTIN’ COMPETITION
Kids can qualify to compete in one of two grand champion mutton bustin’ competitions at the CPRA Rodeo (Saturday, August 12 at 6:30 pm) OR the Ranch Rodeo (Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 1:30 pm).
HOW TO QUALIFY
Potential participants can qualify one of two ways:
- ONLINE REGISTRATION: Register online with KYGO at kygo.com by 12 Noon on August 4th, 2017. A random drawing will take place Friday August 4th, 2017 at 3PM. Winners will be notified with additional details and the rodeo event date they are scheduled to compete in. Please see additional details & ticket requirements below.
- ONSITE COMPETITION: If your name wasn’t drawn during the online registration or if you missed the deadline, there’s still opportunity to try and qualify. Visit the Jeffco Fair & Festival August 10 – 13, 2017 and compete in one of our scheduled mutton bustin’ shows listed below. Each ride is $10 per participant for each show. The number of participants are limited per show and are available on a first-come, first served basis. Winners will be chosen from each show to participate in one of the two rodeos. Shows on Sunday, August 13 are non-qualifiers. Those participating in shows on Sunday are not eligible to qualify for our Grand Champion Mutton Bustin’ Competitions at the Rodeo Arena. Please see additional details & ticket requirements below.
All shows will take place in the Fair Central zone at the Table View Arena. The below schedule is subject to change.
- Thursday, August 10 – 5:30pm, 7pm, 8:30pm
- Friday, August 11 – 2pm, 5pm, 7pm
- Saturday, August 12 – 12pm, 3pm
- Sunday, August 13 – 10:30am, 3pm (all shows on August 13 are non-qualifiers. No winners will be chosen from these shows to compete in our Grand Champion Mutton Bustin’ Competitions)
TERMS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Mutton bustin’ is open to any child between the ages of 4 -7 years who weigh less than 60 pounds.
- All participants, regardless of age, may be asked to weigh in during the registration process.
- A parent or legal guardian must be present and sign a waiver at the event prior to their child participating.
- For onsite competition, we encourage participants to arrive near the mutton bustin’ arena at least 30 minutes prior to each scheduled onsite performance. The number of participants are limited per show and are available on a first-come, first served basis.
- For onsite competition, participants must pay a $10 fee per ride for each show. All ride fees are non-refundable
- Safety helmets and vests must be worn by all participants and will be provided by Jeffco Fair & Festival only. Riders may use their own safety equipment if it meets all Jeffco Fair & Festival equipment standards. Chaps are optional and may be worn. Ropes and spurs are not allowed.
- A release waiver and ride fee, if applicable, must be collected before a participant can be fitted for a helmet and vest.
- Mutton bustin’ registration does not include tickets into the event or any of the rodeos.
- Grand Champion Mutton Bustin’ Competition participants will receive one (1) child’s rodeo ticket and one (1) adult rodeo ticket for their parent or legal guardian for the rodeo pre-show they will participate in. They will be able to redeem their ticket to watch the rodeo in the grandstands after they participate. These tickets also provide general admission into the Jeffco Fair & Festival for the same day.
- Only the parent or legal guardian with the above ticket can accompany their child behind the chutes for the mutton bustin’ championships.
- All shows on Sunday, August 13 are non-qualifiers. No winners will be chosen from these shows to compete in our Grand Champion Mutton Bustin’ Competitions.